The uMgungundlovu District Municipality is requesting quotations from reputable, experienced and reliable service providers for a feasibility study on the generation of Hydropower at the Albert Falls Dam. Deadline is 11 October 2013
Scope of Work:
- What is the historical flow profile below Albert
Falls Dam over the last 10 years and what is the projected flow profile over
the next 20 years?
- What is the potential hydropower energy that can
be produced below Albert Falls Dam and adjacent waterfall annum?
- What would be the cost to realise this hydropower
- What is the revenue potential from hydropower?
- What is the financial feasibility of hydropower
generation at Albert Falls, taking into account all financial and life cycle
- Who owns the land and physical infrastructure
relevant to the realisation of the hydropower at Albert Falls?
- Are the owners of the land and physical
infrastructure willing and able to enter into the necessary agreements for the
realisation of hydropower at Albert Falls Dam, and what form would these
- Are there any legal or regulatory obstacles to the
realisation of hydropower at Albert Falls dam and if possible, how can these
- What would be the steps needed for the realisation
of hydropower at Albert Falls, and what is a reasonable timeline for the
project to come to fruition?
Note that the purpose of the study detailed
engineering work is not required. A confidence limit of 20% for all estimates
(hydrological and financial) will be sufficient. The team must have appropriate
experience in the planning and implementation of small hydropower projects which
encompasses the following disciplines:
River flow rate analysis;
Potential hydro energy evaluations at project
Costs and revenue streams for project
Land ownership and land use rights and
Legal and regulatory issues pertaining to the
Steps to be taken for project implementation
and associated time scales.